Common Signs that Your Teeth are Crying for Help
According to recent studies, only half of Americans have dental insurance which means many families will go without dental care at all. Dental health is not something you should take lightly. On top of regular cleanings, you should seek treatment for anything that may be out of the ordinary for your mouth as your dental health is tied to many other areas in your body! If you believe you are having a dental issue, it is important to get in to a dentist as soon as possible! Here are some common dental problems that could progressively get worse if left untreated:
- Tooth Decay (cavities) occurs when bacteria forms between the teeth or on the surface. This bacteria eats away at the enamel causing sensitivity, toothache, bad breath, and so much more. Cavities are the most common dental issue seen by dentists and are relatively simple to correct with a filling. If left untreated the cavity can get into the root of the tooth causing painful complications. Halitosis (bad breath) can have many different causes. It could simply be from what you ate for dinner or a more serious concern like infection or cancer. If you notice your bad breath is a consistent trend, get in to a dental professional as soon as possible.
- Gingivitis (gum disease) is typically caused by plaque build up from poor brushing habits. This leads to a bacterial infection in the gums. It can also occur in poorly aligned teeth with areas that are difficult to brush. Brushing and flossing twice a day and keeping up with regular cleanings will prevent this painful infection.
- Cracked Teeth are extremely common and very painful. Cracked teeth make the simple things like chewing, drinking, and even sleeping difficult due to pain. Any sort of trauma towards the teeth can cause cracks or chips. It is important to get to a dentist as soon as possible if you think you have damaged a tooth even if you don’t think it’s “bad.”
- Root Infection is caused when bacteria gets under a tooth to the root. This will often happen when there is a vulnerability like a crack or cavity. A root canal is a simple and routine procedure done in a dental office with local anesthetic.
- Enamel erosion is caused by acidic and sugary foods left on the teeth wearing down the enamel over time. This leads to sensitivity and vulnerability. Enamel cannot be rebuilt once it is lost.
- Dry mouth can be a symptom for many different health concerns as well as a side effect from many medications. The best way to prevent dry mouth is to stay hydrated throughout the day and avoid dehydrating foods like caffeine, alcohol, and sugar.
- Grinding your teeth can be a sign of stress as well as other concerns like an improperly fitted crown or an abnormal bite. If you notice you’ve started grinding your teeth do not wait to get in to the dentist!
Regular dental appointments for cleaning and exams will help detect many different concerns. It is recommended by the American Dental Association that you should see a dentist every six months for a cleaning and xrays. If you’ve been avoiding the dentist due to lack of coverage, you have options! Call Sean the Insurance Guy today for customized and affordable dental coverage!